Monday, September 7, 2009

5 minutes with... Irene Suchocki


Don't you just love nice people. I don't mean to sound crass, but there are some real assholes in the world, Like George W Bush for instance and people that drive slow in the right hand lane or that city ranger who couldn't give a rats about the 11 baby duckling's that fell into oncoming traffic on the corner of Kent and Market Street in the Sydney CBD the other day (but that's another story) This story, in contrast is about a non asshole. A perfectly lovely stranger and, if you ask me, a very talented photographer.

Irene Suchocki is her name and taking photos is her game, Never having met Irene before I dropped her a line recently asking if I could have 5 minutes of her time to chat about the fine art of pointing and shooting, sure enough a few short days later a email appeared in my inbox saying she'd be delighted to appear on my blog... so with out further ado see below for...

5 MINUTES WITH IRENE SUCHOCKI
  1. The first camera I ever owned was... My first camera was a cheap Vivitar and I must have been about 14 years old.
  2. Now that I'm older and wiser, my gun of choice is... I shoot almost 100% digitally now. My camera of choice is the Canon 5D*
  3. The best piece of advice i can give you is... Experiment, experiment, experiment. Try different layers, try playing with the blending mode and opacity. Also, don't just layer two images, trying layering more, even if some are there only in a subtle way. I find you get more complex and interesting results that way.
  4. My favorite photographer right now is... So many to choose from, but I would have to say Robert and Shana Parkeharrison.
  5. The song/album/soundtrack that best describes my style of photography is... Interesting question! I think that I would have to say the album Seventh Tree by Goldfrapp, which I find to be beautiful, whimsical, and dreamy all at once. Well, at least I hope that my photographs can live up to that description.
Wondering why Irene digs Robert and Shana Parkeharrison's work click here to see for yourself, I'd up a load some imagery bu that would just ruin the surprise and where's the fun in that now?

* I know I know.... this site is meant to be about all things film, but the way i see it, its just amazing that people like Irene are around to remind us that digital is not the death of creativity in photography. Kudos to you Irene






1 comment:

  1. i love that album by goldfrapp too and that photo sure does match that description to me- beautiful, whimsical and dreamy. a few of my favs too!
    peace & love!

    ReplyDelete